It's almost impossible to ignore foot pain, particularly if it limits your mobility and prevents you from doing the things you need to do. Fortunately, your Tyler, TX, podiatrist, Dr. James Kent of East Texas Foot & Ankle Center, offers treatments that can relieve your pain.
5 Causes of Foot Pain
Common causes of foot pain include:
- Ingrown Toenails: Has the edge of your toenail begun to grow into your skin? Ingrown toenails can be very painful and may even become infected. Your Tyler foot doctor can free the trapped edge of your nail, eliminating your pain.
- Bunions: Bony bumps at the base of your big toe, a bunion problem can make even simple movements very painful. The condition occurs due to a joint misalignment and can make it difficult to find comfortable shoes. Ice, over-the-counter pain relievers, and cortisone injections can decrease pain and swelling. Other treatment options include night splints and taping to improve the alignment of your joint, custom orthotics to cushion your foot and surgery to permanently correct the misalignment.
- Stone Bruises: If your pain started after you stepped on something hard, you may have a stone bruise. The bruise forms in the fat pad under your foot and can make walking and standing painful. Most stone bruises go away on their own in a few days or a week. If not, orthotics can help cushion your foot while it heals.
- Plantar Fasciitis: A common cause of heel pain, plantar fasciitis occurs due to an inflammation in the band of tissue that connects your heels to your toes. Pain may worsen after you first stand up in the morning or following exercise. If over-the-counter pain remedies aren't helpful, your podiatrist may recommend night splints, exercises, and physical therapy to stretch the fascia and heel pads to cushion your heel.
- Flat Feet: Flat feet can cause pain in your feet, legs, hips, and backs and make it harder to keep your balance. If you have the condition, orthotics and orthopedic shoes can keep your arch properly supported. Physical therapy can also be helpful.
Struggling With Heel Pain? Give Us a Call
Ease your foot pain with a visit to your podiatrist, Dr. Kent of East Texas Foot & Ankle Center in Tyler, TX. Call him at (903) 939-3668 to schedule your appointment.